Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
The Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium provides schools and academies with additional funding to support Year 7 students who did not achieve the expected standard in reading and/or mathematics at the end of the Year 6/Key Stage 2 (Primary school).
The catch-up premium funding enables schools and academies to deliver additional support and a range of literacy and numeracy interventions. The impact should be that targeted students make accelerated progress in relation to their peers and so that any barriers to restrict good future progress and attainment are significantly reduced and, if possible, removed.
Our Core objectives:
- To provide a wide and varied range of literacy and numeracy interventions for the identified catch-up premium students.
- To support the progress and attainment of those identified by enabling them to access the academy’s secondary curriculum more successfully.
- To promote the engagement as well as the enjoyment of literacy and numeracy both inside and outside of the classroom setting.
- To increase parent/carer awareness of the Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium and the associated strategies to support their respective child’s progress.
The nature of the support for these pupils at St Clere’s includes the following:
- Reading age screening for all students.
- Staff training relating to reading ages and using appropriate reading material in lessons.
- Dyslexia testing for identified students.
- Lexia intervention tool for students identifies as having Dyslexia. Lexia runs as a daily intervention lesson, we also provide passwords for identified students to use the package at home.
- Skills-wise lessons run by LSAs.
- ‘Success Maker’ for identified students.
- Reading coaching programmes.
- Transition week (for all year 6 students). During this week the students take part in tasks with an emphasis literacy and numeracy skills.
- Additional mathematics and English lessons on the curriculum to accelerate progress.
- A trained librarian who can delivers literacy catch-up sessions.
- Targeted numeracy support delivered by our HLTA in mathematics, including us of ‘My Maths’ to pinpoint specific gaps in knowledge which need development.
- An early start (for all students) to Key Stage 4 to enable students to have additional time to excel in their chosen subjects.
- Appointment of intervention leads.
- Appointment of ‘Reading strategies’ lead.
- Staff phonics training.
- Introduction of a ‘nurture group’ and the appointment of a nurture group teacher who has previous Primary experience.